A Guide to Getting Started with Influencers on TikTok
I’ve activated campaigns on TikTok, I’ve written blogs about TikTok and yes I may have taken a stab at some content myself. That being said, several months ago I had an experience that shifted the way I think about the platform. I was walking out of an athletic apparel retailer (psttt, retail therapy is real) the other day when I complimented an employee on his radiant skin. Right away he tells me “Thank you! So it’s this brand. It’s HUGE on TikTok, everyone on TikTok is talking about it. I think it’s sold out right now” and he continues to share more details with me about where I can buy it (note: it wasn’t at his store) as I quickly type in the notes on my phone of how I can access this product.
Not only can our inner circle serve as influencers, but strangers can too. Due to the virality of the TikTok platform itself, TikTok isn’t just about awareness, it can drive meaningful sales. It’s more than just a corner of the web designated for synchronized dances, teens doing funky moonwalks, tap dancing duets, outfit changes, people sharing secret “dupes” of their favorite products, or hacks about the right way to use ice cube trays. It’s a platform people are turning to for information, entertainment and positivity. But what does this mean for brands? There is untapped potential to increase sales with TikTok influencer marketing, and have fun doing it.
What is TikTok? TikTok is the leading destination for short-form mobile video on a mission to inspire creativity and bring joy. TikTok is a hub of authenticity and Popular Pays is #HereForIt. The exciting part? Even if you have zero followers and have never posted to TikTok before, there’s still an opportunity for your video to appear in the For You page of other users or even go viral. This is what we are talking about when we say anyone can be a creator.
How does TikTok work? Users post 15-second or 60-second videos set to music, original audio creations or fun soundbites. Special effects, filters and editing tools in the app inspire anyone to be creative. Hop on an existing trend to land in viewers #ForYouPage, use a trending sound, or create your own trend from scratch!
There’s a variety of things that can influence the TikTok algorithm. From what hashtags you use, to your location, music snips, and even some of the TikToks that you’ve liked months ago. Similar to other platforms, the TikTok algorithm serves users posts they engage with. For example, if there’s a specific account they interact with a lot, they’re more likely to see content from it. Liking, commenting, and engaging content can only increase visibility and trends offer the option to gain traction and potentially become trending.
You may find yourself spending a bit of time on your For You page. According to TikTok, “The system recommends content by ranking videos based on a combination of factors — starting from interests you express as a new user and adjusting for things you indicate you’re not interested in, too.”
Who uses TikTok? Approximately 60% of users are Gen Z (16-24 years old), so the platform is a must for any Gen Z targeted campaign. However, don’t underestimate alternate age groups (ex. the #over30 age group really shows up). It’s important to not make any assumptions as the platform is still evolving and user demographics are expanding.
How do brands advertise on TikTok? From an organic perspective, our end-to-end tech integration makes connecting, collaborating, and tracking your work with TikTok influencers and creators fast and super efficient. Sign up today and get 30 days of free access, start searching over 500,000 TikTok creators by engagements, views and followers. Choose your fit & collab on TikTok content! Try that out, and if you are ready to run some paid campaigns we’ve gotcha covered. There are currently five advertising formats available: TopView, Brand Takeover, In-Feed Video, Hashtag Challenge and Branded Effect. Similar to other platforms, there are opportunities to target based on demographic, language, device, interests, and include or exclude custom audiences.
From a paid perspective, it can sometimes be overwhelming to know how much TikTok creators should charge. Fear not, as our software allows (and encourages) negotiations! Learn more about how to utilize negotiations to activate successful campaigns. Just remember, when executed correctly, negotiation should be a positive experience all around and allow for brands to expand the creators they work with, while maintaining the value of a creator’s work.
What does a creative brief look like for TikTok? It’s important that everyone is aligned prior to the kickoff of a campaign. That being said, you never want to control too much of the creator’s content. There’s a reason you hired them (reminder: it’s because they are creative) so let them do their thing! Ensure you outline the do’s and don’ts thoroughly in the brief. Just like anything else, creators don’t know what you don’t share with them! They may know your brand inside and out, but that doesn’t mean they know what you are looking for as a brand.
Sample Brand Styleguide
- Be creative — create meme style videos, or lifestyle videos showcasing (insert product) in whatever fun and quirky way you can think of!
- Showcase your own style with TikTok’s trends and effects. Seen a popular trend recently? Find a way to add (insert your brand) into it.
- Bring to life our products in a fun, vibrant, and quirky way.
- High quality, catchy creations that entice viewers to watch all the way through.
- Showcase your own style with TikTok’s trends and effects.
- If the packaging is in the video, the logo should be clearly visible.
- If the product is in the video, it should be obvious that it is clear to see it is (insert product)
- Do not include any identifiable third party logos or brand markers, music, artwork, architecture, etc. unless you have the necessary permissions. If identifiable people are shown in the content you create for this campaign, you warrant that you have their permission to do so and that they understand how the content may be used by the brand.
Partnering with Influencers on TikTok
How to find TikTok influencers:
We’ve made this part easier for you. On Popular Pays, you can search over 500,000 TikTok influencers quickly and efficiently to discover the platform’s best creative partners using our free search tool! When selecting creators and influencers, pay attention to their content performance. We show a snapshot of this metric on their profile and across their work with you to track content performance over time.
How to work with influencers on TikTok:
- On Popular Pays, you can work with creators to help support content and/or influencer needs. TikTok creators know TikTok content best, so partner with them to create engaging content to launch or support your brand’s channel. Regarding influence, anyone is a creator and influence is everywhere. Use influencers to drive awareness on TikTok. Take your content and influence further on TikTok and partner with our team to promote content in paid ad formats through TikTok.
- When it comes to content, did you know that social media users are 5x more likely to convert with UGC than professional brand posts? It really shouldn’t come as a surprise since social users value content made by their peers for them. While your posts will look professional, influencers’ creativity will pique users’ interest and inspire them to engage with the content.
- Brands will favor UGC more, encouraging their followers to come up with unique video ideas. Consequently, brands will find ways to incorporate UGC into their TikTok campaigns for better engagement. While this type of content will help you increase your authenticity and engagement, there are also certain issues that will arise. Getting content without the user’s permission will be a frequent phenomenon. So, keep an eye out because tarnishing your brand image shouldn’t be in your TikTok marketing plans.
How to measure success on TikTok:
At this point, TikTok marketers are looking for reach. Naturally, an increase in video views significantly increases potential reach. While the intention is often to go viral on TikTok, because who wouldn’t want that?! We are looking at you Ocean Spray, a brand who found customers had cleared their products off of store shelves. Videos with high engagement can be featured on the #FYP or discover page allowing your content to extend far beyond users who know or follow your brand. How we measure success on TikTok will likely evolve over time just as we’ve seen with other platforms.
Check out this helpful resource to learn how to launch on TikTok with Popular Pays. Partner with Popular Pays and let’s create an impactful strategy #ForYou.