If you’ve been dancing along with TikTok, you’re ready for Reels. Reels is Instagram’s way to record and edit 15 second short form videos to share with your followers and beyond with the explore page. We’re here to break down the basics of creating your Reel, where to share it, and some best practices for Instagram’s most creative new feature.
The Basics: Creating your Reel
To create a Reel, head to your Instagram Camera where you find your Live and Story options. When you swipe to the Reels page, you can get started recording, editing, and creating your Reel.
Tools to know:
- Audio: You can use your own audio or add music from the IG music library to your reel. Keep in mind of you have a public profile and you use your own audio, your viewers can use the audio from your reel. Choose a song, then drag the rectangle at the bottom to select the portion of the song or clip you’d like to use for your video. Once you select your audio clip, record your video over the audio. You can speed up or slow down the audio to fit the vibe for your video at .3x, .5x, 1x, 2x or 3x the speed, found under the Audio button on the left hand side of the screen.
- Effects: Spice up your reel with the available effects, from dog filters to trippy backgrounds and beyond. You can even change the effect from clip to clip to keep interesting!
- Timer and Countdown: Record your reels handsfree by using the countdown timer. Drag to choose how long the clip will be. When you set the timer, there’s a countdown before the recording starts so you’ll be ready to go!
- Align: This feature helps keep your reel appear seamless from clip to clip my lining up your main focus in each video.
When your video is ready to go, simply tap the Next arrow to add the classic Instagram editing options you’ve seen in your Story posts including GIFs, time stamp, Emojis, text overlay and the marker tool.
Where to Share
- If you have a private account, you can simply share your Reel to your feed or story for your followers to enjoy.
- If you have a public account, you can choose to share your Reel in Explore (if you have a public account), your feed, or simply add as an IG story. Similar to TikTok, you can share your Reel to the Explore page to expand your audience. The Reels feed can be found on the Instagram Explore Page, where you can check out popular Reels from trending accounts whether you follow them or not. If you see a Reel with the “Featured” tag, it means the Reel was selected by Instagram to be highlighted on the Explore page. Remember to check out the explore page to find the latest Reels that are Featured by Instagram to keep discovering the best new content.
The Reels feature was designed with the intent to entertain and inspire, so keep that in mind when creating your video content. Get creative and use your video to share tips and tricks, before and afters, how to’s, dances, fashion, challenges, funny videos, whatever you’ve got – just make sure it’s true to you. Keep it light, relatable, and fun!